Establishing a Model of Women Led Green Vision Center in Remote Rural Areas of Bangladesh
Bangladesh is one of the least developed countries in Asia with a population of 166.3 million in an area of 1,47,570sqkm. Most of the people (80%) live in the rural area because of the agro based economy of the country. Average density of population is 1252/sqkm. Literacy rate (7 years and above) is 72.76%.
Mazharul Haque BNSB Eye Hospital is a voluntary non-governmental organization started its journey in the year 1982. Mazharul Haque BNSB Eye Hospital, Chandpur, besides giving round the year services to the eye patients in hospital, it has also conducted various community outreach program such as free Screening Eye camp in rural remote areas, School Sight Testing Program for school children, Teachers Demonstrations Program, Poor Patients Support etc to achieve its objectives at the community level by the cordial patronage of donor agencies, who are facilitated this endeavor of treating the blind in the least cost.
- Deliver eye care services at community level of the country in order to reach the services at the remotest area.
- Create awareness about eye health in the rural areas in order to undertake preventive measures for keeping the eye safe.
- Detect and arrest of eye problems at the different stages of the disease in the community in order to solve the eye problem as an immediate measure.
- Incorporate the primary health worker (village doctor) as primary eye care workers in order to extend the eye care services at the community level.
- Establish an effective initial diagnosis, primary management and referral system in the PEC Program in order to manage the center efficiently
The most common problems of Barriers are identified and considered during selection of Location for setting up a new Primary Eye Care Center or Vision Center.
- Poor Communication from Community to Eye Care Facilities
- Large population without coverage of Eye Care
- Having limited or no facility of Eye Care even Primary Care
- Shortage of Eye Care Service in Upazilla Govt. Hospital and Community Clinics
- Patients lack of Finances/ insurance Coverage (Based on Poverty index and Economy)
- Long Distance from Community to Secondary or Tertiary level Eye Hospital
- Shortage of Community Outreach Program on Eye Care
- Lack of Awareness on Eye Care
Vision Centre setup by the project will provide services in following discipline:
- Tele-Consultation with Ophthalmologist
- Patient Examination through Slit lamp
- Vision Test through vision chart
- Detect of Eye Problems
- Primary Eye Care services
- Referral Patient to base Hospital
- Refraction Service with auto Refractometer
- Basic Investigation (Blood Pressure, Urine Sugar, Sac Test, Intraocular Pressure)
- Selection of patient for Cataract Operation (IOL) at base hospital
- Selection of patient for Minor Operation at base hospital
- Post operative follow-up
- Patient Counseling
- Workshop and Seminar on prevention of blindness
- Staff Meeting
- Publicity and public relation
- Screening program at Union/Village level
- Monitoring & Supervision